Natural Gas Poisoning Symptoms Natural Gas Poisoning Symptoms

Fall may finally be here in Colorado. Warm days and cool nights mean its time to bring out the warm blankets and sweaters, and turn on the fireplace – inside and out.

It’s also the time when you’ll hear about natural gas poisoning affecting families around the area. Over the summer, gas lines may have cracked or broken while working in the yard, or simply from old age.

Many people are subjected to natural gas poisoning, yet don’t notice any of the warning symptoms before its too late. Natural gas poisoning isn’t limited to your indoors environment; you can be affected just as easily outdoors. As you turn on your gas lines this season, watch for early warning signs in you and your family.

Headaches and dizziness. If you have a headache for more than a day, or you notice it becomes stronger when you linger in one room, or come home from work, you may be in danger. Also watch for headaches in more than one family member.

Nausea. Nausea may become apparent quickly in a closed up room or car as the gas fumes overtake you.

Breathing difficulties.
Gas poisoning decreases your oxygen supply. If you live with a slow, undetected leak for a long period of time, lack of oxygen could eventually lead to seizures.

People exposed to natural gas poisoning for long periods of time may end up with a variety of long term health issues. Epilepsy, pneumonia, memory loss, depression, claustrophobia, seizures, and heart problems have all been reported in patients suffering from natural gas poisoning.

While a strong odor is combined with natural gas to help you detect leaks as they happen, it may not be easy to detect right away. If at any time you detect a rotten egg odor, have it checked out immediately.

[Quality 1st Plumbing can help you install, fix, replace or maintain your gas lines. Give us a call today.]

sidebar coupons 250 Natural Gas Poisoning Symptoms

Plumbing Repair Services

Quality 1st Plumbing Repair is a full-service plumbing contractor serving Metro Denver.  We are licensed and insured, and our technicians are professionally trained in the repair and installation of all plumbing systems and fixtures. We are Colorado’s FIRST Licensed and Accredited GreenPlumbers! Visit our website

Comments

20 Responses to “Natural Gas Poisoning Symptoms”

1. John Perry on May 15th, 2011 7:00 am

I recently suffered from natural gas poisoning from a leak inside my garage. I had the leak for 4 days and smelled the mercaptin from the natural gas every time I initially entered the house, however within a very short period of time (less than a minute) my sense of smell could no longer detect the odor so I thought it was my imagination until a guest mentioned that they smelled gas. I called the gas company and they did a pressure check from the outside of the house that verified that I had a gas leak. A local contractor fixed the leak.

My symptoms got progressively worse each day.

The symptoms that I experienced were nausea, loss of appetite, flautulence, slight headache, low grade fever, runny nose, sore throat and restlessness, strange dreams and inability to sleep. Everyday, I felt worse and was considering calling my doctor because I was concerned that I had contacted some mysterious illness.

I feel OK now after a day without further exposure.

John Perry

2. Alexis Boyd on March 29th, 2012 6:35 pm

Recently I went to the emergency room after extreme nausea, dizziness, confusion, and fainting. After my lab work came back and two Dr.s not knowing an answer to give me, I was left scared and worried. After what turned out to be a blessing in disguise by my gas company turning off the wrong meter, I found that I had a pretty large gas leak in my bedroom. Suddenly it makes sense. I have a Carbon Monoxide detector but come to find out the battery was dead. I am so glad it was the battery that was dead and not myself!

3. Earnest Bostick on April 1st, 2012 11:06 am

I too had a similar leak. I rented a home about 6 months ago. Around december I began feeling sick. One night I was rushed to the ER. I had what was diagnosed as a panic attack. which I had never had before. Over the next few months I began to smell what I thought was gas, but when I asked my wife and kids if they smelled it they could not. I began having wierd thoughts I couldn’t sleep and just a feeling that I was extremely exausted. I made several trips to my dotor and he could find nothing wrong and thought I was just depressed. So I just dismissed it as my imagination.

Around mid March I had another attack and again was rushed to the hospital. Again the doctors could not find anything wrong. The attacks consisted of heart palpatations, dizziness tingling in my arms and legs and disorientation.

After again smelling the gas I contacted our gas company. When the guy came out he located a leak from a valve located on an old gas fieplace. He was unable to determine how long it had been leaking but said it has been doing so for a while.

Well its been about two weeks since the leak was fixed. I have gotten better but I still am feeling the effects of it.

E. Bostick

4. Bob on May 14th, 2012 11:06 am

bob says hi

5. Penny Applewhite on June 16th, 2012 9:41 am

My mom and I live near a new gas site (put in a couple years ago) We have had a lot of weird symtoms. She has loss of memory and dirrea. Which could be symtoms of old age, but I have been having symtoms of respitory, dirrea, sleepiness, dizziness, loss of weight, sore thoat, headaches. I started a new job and I thought it was the night shift I was working but I can’t seem to wake up and I doze off just sitting up. Our dogs sleep more or want outside all of the time. Could this be the gas well put in up the hill? And we have had a lot of rain lately. We can’t afford to move. The neighbors have put their house of for sale. Just wondering.

6. CRV on September 11th, 2012 9:15 pm

I came home from work yesterday and felt a combination of smells,but something was not quite right. The cleaning lady had being in the houses and the bleach smell helped cover the gas. Gas company came and found a big leak in my backyard. Fixed last night, but now I can’t sleep watching my son sleep and breath. I’m nervous and scared.

7. admin on September 20th, 2012 1:30 pm

The key is to make sure its fixed by your gas company. As long as they’ve been out and fixed everything, you are okay. Make sure you install a carbon monoxide detector too.

8. Fi on October 13th, 2012 5:57 am

PLEASE BE AWARE OF IT’S DANGERS.

I have had exposure to both long term small natural gas leaks and two 36-48hr huge gas leaks exposure, this has not only made me sick (3 months later and still fighting to to prove what has happened). But those leaks over time have KILLED my 6.5 yr old Golden Retriever.

Long painful story cut short. My bedroom flooded, my dog and I moved into small room right beside combi boiler. Room couldnt be ventilated due to location in house. Within 6 weeks my beautiful dog had gone from energetic, full of fun, mischevious sweetheart to seeming unwilling/unable to jump up on or down from bed or couch, to lethary, to constant shivering, being unable to eat regular food, to cramping stomach- that you could literally see cramping- to then seeming confused and finally to full collapse. (4 visits to vet in the last 12 days of those 6 weeks did not find issue. they assumed it was brain tumour, combined with DIC, which means her blood won’t clot – note here how gas disperses oxygen in body). My beautiful girl was put to sleep.

3 weeks later, had first HUGE gas leak in house, gas turned off, repair guy came next day and condemned whole gas system. He pulled out rotten corroded pipes with holes throughout them. He informed me 3 worst leaks were within 2 foot triangle of where my dog and I slept. Gas pipes condemned at 9pm.

At 4 am I woke with the most excruciating pain and pressure in my heart, chest and lungs, I thought I was having a massive heart attack it was that bad, and struggled to draw in full deep breath.This pressure lasted for days. My stomach was also in severe cramping pain. Finally the pressure eased in chest, but the pain in heart, and palpitations didn’t. Neither did the stabbing pain in my lungs. I went to Doc told them what happened, they took tests – Up to that point it had taken me 4 solid days for the brain fog to clear and realise that I needed medical help – Due to the weekend, it ended up being 7 days later before I got bloods done – so not good by then. The key it to get to Doc, or ER immediately. I also had terrifying nightmares in the week immediately after the leak.

It is 3 months later now, I have progressed from being put on a regular inhaler to now a steroid inhaler( had no history of asthma etc ever).

The pain in my lungs and heart itself have not gone away but slightly eased. I cough up mucus for hours every morning, still have palpitations and headaches. Still have stabbing pains in lungs, I cannot walk up hills without getting breathless, which was not a problem before.

I have now developed a lump under my armpit and on my collarbone too. I have kept going back to Dr, but be warned about this, Drs are as foiled as everyone else is that natural gas is safe. IT IS NOT I assure you SAFE!!! what I have learned and lived in these last 3 months would curl your toes.

If you know that you have inhaled natual gas fumes or been poisoned by carbon monoxide – get to the hosp A& E immediately. If you can pay for yourself (I couldnt) ask for Mercury, Manganese and Arsenic tests on your blood, these are the most likely to show what you have inhaled from all of the additives to natural gas. Also check out the site I found at

a non profit with incredible information that you will not find anywhere else. It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get info on what has happened to you, especially as most focus on carbon monoxide and not inhaled natural gas itself, this site can help you with your questions and put you in touch with others who can too.

Just a note here too, that before the actual gas leaks in my home, and before this same rotten system and combi boiler and pipes had been condemned for leaking natural gas. It had also had a high Carbon MONOXIDE warning level on it when the the gas engineers came to check it 4 months AFTER I moved into property. In that period I had gone off work sick (eventually lasting 3.5 months) with extreme fatigue, heavy irregular bleeding and muscle pain. I know NOW these are all signs of CO2 poisoning, but did NOT know that at the time. I had never in my life had this much time off work. Nor had I ever had such weird symptoms and sheer exhaustion before or since.

So please, please take these things seriously and investigate it. You are NOT nuts, you are NOT making up symptoms, You will be feel this – until you dig deeper and deeper and realise just how serious this is and just how ‘covered up’ it all is.

Good Luck

9. melody baines on October 14th, 2012 4:48 pm

I had the gas company come out said it was sewer fumes. I know the differance. Finally got a hold of someone who works with gas and he put a pressure test on and I have a leak. So if you smell something don’t always stop at one person to get the answers.

10. alissa on October 21st, 2012 1:21 am

I left my home around 5:30 Pm and left my 13 year old babysitter and my 6 year old daughter at home when I returned at midnight I could smell the gas as soon as I walked in the door the knob on my stove was turned on so I got everybody out and air flowing through the house I’m not sure how long it had been on but should I be worried about the kids with that much exposer??

11. Nadia fletcher on November 21st, 2012 7:18 am

Hi im so glad i finally googled natural gas poisoning. I have been exposed to leaking gas pipes in my rented home for nearly 4 years. And i have quite a lot of what u have discribed. Off to the Doctors first thing. Bless u. I thought i was going mad. Landlord finally replaced the pipes 2day. Hope its not to late for me. Nadia

12. Chrissy Gray on January 4th, 2013 2:15 am

What state are y’all in?!? I’m in Texas demanding CO2 detectors be in ALL homes!!! I had gas posioning from a leaking heater upstairs for a period of several months! I was sick with a broken foot & had surgery so everyone thought I was sick from all that bc NO one smelled the gas but me! Went to ER repeatedly after surgery bc i was sick, passing out, irtable, severe pain, had seizures, felt like I & everything was out of my control & severe memory loss! I was calling & texting ppl & not thinking straight & got very frustrated & angry & NO memery bc of it all!! I was very upset to hear from the gas company that they couldn’t come out to check unless the home owner called & that was my grandmother so I got worse having to wait for her to call 3 weeks later! Also it was hard bc she’s got demintia & I do everything for her!! They came out found the leak I knew about but said a home gas leak can’t effect a person in any way which I don’t believe at all! So it’s not stupid it should be in ALL homes to save lives & after going to the ER 8 times in 3 months & also having a seizure I don’t think it was all a coincidence & also I have a lump under my arm growing on a lymph nold now! The lady who’s dog died I understand my dog got sick some upstairs & I couldn’t take care of me so thank god I took her down stairs! Any info u can give me will help this has been a nightmare to me possibly having a nervous breakdown bc natural gas can’t cause any of this!!! I’m a very in control person bc I have to be in my family situation so if I’m not able to be ME it’s very overwhelming

13. Barbara on January 12th, 2013 12:13 pm

We had to evacuate our building 4 times in the last week due to natural gas leaks in the kitchen. You could definitely smell gas each time. Gas company came each time snd declated it safe to reenter building but feel sick. Can these ‘small’ leaks poison you?

14. kim on April 25th, 2013 1:24 pm

Hi! So thankful you found your answer! I’m still searching mine! We are sensitive to mold and our apartment complex moved us to this apartment. We are experiencing huge violent reactions and behaviors! My husband said its all in our head. Its a weird ammonia smell like before it disappears within seconds. Closed my kids bathrm and BDRM vents witch seem to be worse…. since its been a bit better. Also have all windows opened a bit! We sleep on floor in living RM after having to throw away all furniture from first mold apartment. The smell is odd. No egg smell. Its weird that it hits more so when heat turns on. Not as noticeable if not laying down. But at bed time and during night you can see the air move right across us from our reactions….. please help…. just found out previous renters were moved out for gas leak! My husband does not believe me. We are in luxury apartments and he thinks they are fine! Consumers found no leak and used machine in house. Did not go off. Could there be a leak in the pipe behind walls but the gas its self be blown to another area in between walls? On second floor. Only water heater runs on gas???

15. Michelle Cortinas on August 28th, 2013 8:22 pm

I recently experienced a natural gas leak in my home and ended up in the E.R. The city turned it off and the landlord had a plumber fix all my pipes. I had a constant slow leak in my kitchen, 3 in the garage and 2 major ones under each bedroom. I have lived in this house for 3 years and have been ill since. Chronic headaches, dizziness, depression, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and other “unknown illness” as described by my doctor. What types of health issues should I be looking for? I feel completely in the dark about this situation and my husband and I are concerned. He works out of town and feels ill when he returns.

16. lisa on September 11th, 2013 10:13 pm

I work in a restraunt that as a server gas leak in grill have been exposed to this for a year and three months have been feeling bad. Need to know what to do

17. Judy Burckhalter on October 23rd, 2013 2:19 pm

yes I was exposure was to natural gas I feel a little dizzy and my hears are itching and I do have headacks. What I want to no. their was a bird we had to get out what sign for birds.

18. Marcia Daniels on December 30th, 2013 7:19 pm

You should get an expert to come out and check for gas. Sometimes the entry level people may come out with a gas meter but that did not help them find my gas leak. It was a senior person from the gas company that took time to talk with me, ask questions and in less than 15 minutes he found the leak after the gas company had missed it for many years. You must be persisent with the gas company or the manager of your apartment, keep calling.

19. Wanda powell on February 5th, 2014 8:45 am

I lived in an studio apartment for 1 year. when I first moved into the apartment unit, I notified the building manager that the stove had a gas leak. he ignored my request for a new stove. he than told me that he took care of the stove but I still smelled the natural gas inside my apartment. I lived there for a year and many times he ignored my alerts about the gas leaks. I am concerned because my grandson used to visit me and sleep over many nights with me. He also inhaled the gas fumes. I am worried about the long terms effects on him and myself for inhaling natural gas in closed quarters fro a long period of time. I recently moved out of the unit and he replaced the stove for the new tenant that moved in. Should my grandson and I get a blood test done to determine any health problems. I am experiencing a persistent cough with mucus and I am experiencing shortness of breath when I go for long walks which I enjoyed to do.

20. foodcare on February 13th, 2014 4:24 am

Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed!
    Extremely helpful info specially the last part :
    ) I care for such info a lot. I was looking for this certain info for a long time.
    Thank you and good luck.