A garbage disposal is a handy appliance to have in your kitchen. It helps to make your life just a little bit easier. Instead of tossing leftovers into the trash, you can simply dispose of them down the sink and into the drain.
A garbage disposal is a great time-saver and anything that can buy you some extra time is a plus! However, it is still just an appliance and it can develop problems, especially if it is not being properly operated. The following tips will help you keep your disposal in tip-top shape.
- Use your garbage disposal on a regular basis to prevent rusting and corrosion.
- Keep it clean by adding a little bit of dish soap and cold water after each use.
- Use cold water when running your disposal and make sure you have a strong flow.
- Grinding citrus peels gives your disposal a fresh, citrus scent.
- Grind hard foods on occasion, such as small chicken bones, to create a scouring action to keep your disposal walls clean.
- Avoid stuffing large items into the disposal – instead, cut them into smaller pieces.
- If it is not a food item, do NOT put it into your garbage disposal
- Never grind combustible items.
- Never grind cigarette butts, metals, plastic, paper, or glass.
- Do not pour grease down your garbage disposal.
- Do not stop the flow of water or turn off the disposal until it is done grinding.
- When you do turn off the disposal, let the water run for a few more seconds to flush it clean.
- Never put large bones down the disposal
- Avoid fibrous foods, such as corn stalks and onion skins, because the fibers can tangle and jam the disposal.
- Add foods a little bit at a time – never overstuff your disposal and always keep the cold water running.
- Never use bleach or other harsh chemicals in your disposal – they can damage the blades.
Plumbing Repair Services
Quality 1st Plumbing Repair is a full-service plumbing contractor serving Metro Denver. We are licensed and insured, and our technicians are professionally trained in the repair and installation of all plumbing systems and fixtures. We are Colorado’s FIRST Licensed and Accredited GreenPlumbers! Visit our website